How to ROOT Lenovo S650 with Android KitKat ROW Version - I found this guide for russian forum write by K.Sokol, until now there is no valid way how to rooting Lenovo S650 running Android KitKat. This guide can only be using for Build Number S650_ROW_S305 and S650_ROW_S215 and still need tested for validation with another Lenovo S650's users. So if you dare to follow this guide then please report the result. This guide have possibility to brick your device please make sure you have valid backup in case something bad happen.
This guide for educational purpose only, We not responsible if your device bricked after following this tutorial. This guide will replace standard Lenovo recovery file so please backup it maybe sometime you need it (DWYOR)
- TWRP v2.6.30 ROW ↦ this is contains custom recovery file and android scatter file for Lenovo S650.
- USB VCOM Driver ↦ Install this driver first on your computer, Turn off your device and remove the battery, using USB cable connect your device while look at My Computer ↦ Manage ↦ Device Manager there will be MTK65xx Preloader Devices show up for 5 second than disappeared, before disappeared right click on it and select Update Driver Software point it to USB VCOM Driver extracted folder. When it finish disconnect and connect again there will be Mediatek PreLoader USB VCOM Port on your device manager.
- SP Flash Tool v5.1352 ↦ please only use this version of flash tool.
- KingUser ↦ root application, install when finish change standard Lenovo recovery with custom recovery.
- MT6582_Android_scatter ↦ this is scatter file that we will use to update recovery.
- Download all required files needed, make sure the USB VCOM driver is completely installed on your pc. Needed because we need to use flash tool for change standard Lenovo recovery with custom recovery.
- Move or copy KingUser to your external SD Card, place it on external SD Card root.
- Extract TWRP v2.6.30 ROW and MT6582_Android_scatter on the same folder, copy MT6582_Android_scatter.txt from MT6582_Android_scatter extracted folder and paste it into target_bin on the TWRP v2.6.30 ROW extracted folder. It will replace the default scatter file on the target_bin folder.
- Extract SP Flash Tool v5.1352 and go in to it, run Flash_Tool.exe if you are using windows 7 or later please run it with administrator privilege, Go to Options ↦ Option ↦ Download confirm that DA DL All with Checksum already checked, press [x] to close the option windows and back to flash tool.
- Click on Scatter-Loading button and point it to TWRP v2.6.30 ROW extracted folder and select target_bin/MT6582_Android_scatter.txt this will automatically load custom recovery image to flash tool.
- Now select Download Only (2), then press Download (4) button, flash tool will become stand by and ready to received connection with your device.
- Turn off your device and remove the battery, when you ready now you can connect your device to your pc, the flash tool will recognized your device and begin to start flashing process. The process will only take 10-20 second to finish, when you see there is GREEN CIRCLE in the middle of flash tool that mean you can disconnect your device.
- Done installing custom recovery on your Lenovo S650, now we need to root it. Still turn off your device, now turn it on with hold and press Power Button + Volume Down + Volume Up button, released it until you can see TWRP main menu.
- On the twrp main menu, select Install ↦ Select Zip to Install you can select KingUser that already move to external SD Card ↦ Swipe to install, wait the process until finish and back to main menu again select Reboot.
- Boot to your home screen and search to KingUser application icon, run it for the first time and if ask to update just update it. Done